Skip to main content

A CALL TO FEMINISM

In the past I had always been against feminism especially the way it was been described by a lot of feminists. They were bitter, hostile and irreligious. I did not want to be like them because I'm a sucker for love stories. I believe in fairy tales and I am blessed with a good man. I envisage a good marriage and could not understand why a lot of women were agitated and not happy.

I reflected on the past and then it was easy for me to understand what feminists were often angry about and why feminism (without going to the extreme) is necessary going forward in our world today.

I have had experiences with guys (call them my suitors) which should have opened my eyes to the reality of a lot of relationships. But I was too young to understand. My love for love often blinded me to the flaws of these guys who were around me at that time. And if I had made the mistake of marrying any of them, I would have been miserable and who knows, maybe I would have also been angry and bitter.

Based on experience, I can say confidently that some men are sick. There are men who believe that their wives or relationship partners should never insult them and that they have a right to beat up any woman attached to them who does so.  I went to a federal government college for high school and when someone offends us then, to express our anger, we would say things like "are you mad, are you stupid?" I got used to saying that and it stuck. During my youth service, I met a guy who said he was interested in me. And oftentimes jokingly I would say such things to him whenever he cracked a joke I did not approve of. And then his countenance would change, he would tell me visibly angrily that he would slap his wife or 'girlfriend' who ever told him such. Common sense should have told me that this guy was dangerous but as I did not have too many friends then, I was just grateful to have someone I could call a 'friend'. This continued for a while until naturally the friendship wore off ( we did not have the same values and so it was impossible for me to be unequally yoked). He was also very stingy and greedy, amongst many more of his undesirable qualities.

This is just an example of the many people walking about in trousers calling themselves men and looking for wives to marry. Please run for your dear life if you ever meet such.  So it is true; there is a need for feminism. Some men need to be taught that they do not have a right to beat up a woman no matter the level of provocation.

Let me define feminism as equal opportunities for both men and women, the right for women to be promoted meritoriously, the right not to physically, emotionally, sexually, verbally and mentally abused. A safe environment for both boys and girls to grow up in, no preference for a male child and a right to worship God with sincerity. This is my own definition of feminism. What is yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WAR ROOM

A beautiful movie showing us the love of God and His ever standing faithfulness to His children. Elizabeth and Tony Jordan were two  successful people who were religious but hadn't known what it was like for God to minister unto them. They had a big house, nice jobs, with Tony as a pharmaceutical salesman and Elizabeth as a realtor. They  had a daughter called Danielle. Despite the wealthy lifestyle, Tony was cold towards his family. He refused to give money to his wife's sister and was verbally abusive towards her. He treated Danielle no less than a property gotten from one  of his illegal deals.

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and The Royal Family

In the last few days, the media has been a washed with the interview that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry granted Oprah Winfrey on the reason why they stepped down as senior members of the royal family. Before the interview became cold, the media(both social and traditional) was agog with majority talking about it and siding with the couple on all their claims especially the claim of institutionalized racism against the Royal Family by Meghan Markle.  It’s sad that this is an age where everything and anything can go viral just at the click of a button.  Let us dissect the issues: Racism; Meghan claimed that a member of the Royal Family raised the issue of her son’s skin color while she was pregnant for him. She then went to say that he was denied a title because of this. I am not in kindergarten. Even a child can see clearly that Meghan wants a title for her son and I am sure she knows that according to the British Constitution, her son was not entitled to the title of Prince because hi

STILL ON DIVERSIFICATION OF THE ECONOMY

It is no longer news that South Africa has bypassed Nigeria as the biggest economy in Africa; this was as a result of the appreciation of the Rand, South Africa’s currency and the concomitant depreciation of naira over US dollar caused by the reduction in oil prices. You may recall that two years ago during Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, Nigeria overtook South Africa as the biggest economy in Africa after the rebasing of the nation’s economy. Nigeria is currently a mono-economy and no country maintains economic stability in such situation, hence the current administration must go beyond the usual government rhetorics and revamp the nation’s economy so that the people can experience economic development. To diversify the economy, government should look into the following areas: